2012-09-25

A great wine at a great price: 2009 Ridge Estate Cabernet Sauvignon

I've wanted to try a wine from Ridge Estate for a long time. I stopped by my local wine store today and saw they had the 2009 Ridge Estate Cabernet Sauvignon and had to buy it to see if  it's worth buying some more. This wine is not there premium Cab Sauv wine, that is the Monte Bello. This wine was made from 77% cabernet sauvignon with 23% merlot.

Tasting note for the Ridge Estate Cabernet SauvignonTasting note:
Nice, dark red colour.
Fruit driven nose with cherry, blackcurrants, caramel and some candy. I also pick up some oak, but it's far for dominant. Great nose.
On the palate I get ripe cherries and I do believe it is a caramel flavour. Hard to describe. The oak is balanced. Firm tannins on the back end. Good length.
This is not an overoaked fruit bomb. It is full bodied, but the wine is precise and cuts the crap. It has a nice sour taste that keeps this wine from being to ripe. 93 points

Wow, this is a great wine. It is perfectly sane to drink this now if you enjoy primary fruit flavours, but to me it seems to have the balance and the tannins to last a decade or more.

I am definetly going to buy some bottles of the 2009 Ridge Estate Cabernet Sauvignon.



No comments:

Post a Comment